POC Drug Monitoring System
The PaperSpray Ambient Ionization system™ can rapidly analyze complex samples including whole blood in 3 to 5 minutes with no sample preparation. The automated system was developed by Purdue University and Omnica for use in the clinical laboratory and other research applications.
The platform was developed to analyze minimal sample volumes of whole blood, urine, saliva, and fresh tissue samples (biopsy and tissue homogenate) to determine drug levels within minutes sample collection. It is particularly useful for oncology patients who have been administered small-molecule chemotherapeutic agents.
The Omnica team developed the entire system, including cassette, reagent injectors, high-voltage system, automated magazine, status display, and the Graphical User Interface software (for protocol parameter setting and remote diagnostic capability) – in 12 months.
- Custom injection-molded thermoplastic cassette
- Preserves electrical field characteristics for use in mass spectrometry
- Uses minimal sample volume of whole blood
- Design ensures safe and reliable introduction of solvents and high voltage
- required to generate the paper spray ionization.
Ion Source Instrument
- Automated sample introduction system for the mass spectrometer.
- Holds 40 test cassettes in a magazine
- Quantitated spectral analysis with minimal hands-on time.
- Barcode for sample tracking
- Capability to configure system for running custom assay protocols
- Therapuetic Drug Monitoring
The PaperSpray / Ion Source Instrument, when combined with a miniature mass spectrometer, has resulted in a Point-of-Care Therapeutic Drug Monitoring (POC-TDM) device that can revolutionize cancer treatment by solving a major problem in oncology.
When administering small-molecule chemotherapeutic agents, health care professionals should strive to optimize the dose to therapeutic efficacy, but below toxic levels.
Within minutes, POC-TDM provides clinicians real-time feedback on the patient’s drug levels. It offers the possibility of an improved clinical outcome by personalizing drug levels over a period of time.
As stated by a leading oncologist:
“The use of POC-TDM will create a paradigm shift, replacing Dose to Toxicity with Intelligent Dosing”.
Who We Are
Omnica Corporation is a privately-held design, engineering, and medical product development firm located in Irvine, California. The 28-person company is staffed with full-time employees and has been in operation since 1984. Our speciality is custom product development for the medical industry and industrial fields.
Our expertise is developing complex medical devices.Technical personnel at Omnica includes designers, mechanical engineers, electronic and software engineers, advanced R&D specialists, regulatory staff (for FDA documentation), machinists and model makers.