- This event has passed.
WIB-Southern California: Virtual MAPS Peer Group Launch Event-6th Cohort
October 8, 2020 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Join Women In Bio’s Southern California chapter for our MAPS (Mentorship, Advisors, Peers, and Sponsorship) Peer Group launch event. Join us for a meaningful evening to learn more about MAPS, network, and meet the incredible peer group leaders and members of this vibrant community. New and past participants welcome. Open to guests as well. Our event will be hosted completely virtually.
Disclaimer: This event may be recorded. If so, there is a possibility your image and or voice may be a part of that recording. If you do not wish for your image to be included please turn off your camera.
Over 140 professionals will be meeting monthly in peer groups across Southern California from October 2020 – March 2021. WIB-Southern California has received over 500 applications for this incredible community, and it’s growing rapidly, getting stronger and more vibrant with each cohort.
Where Do Peer Groups Meet?
Groups meet in Del Mar, Poway, Carlsbad, Rancho Bernardo, Mission Valley/Downtown, La Jolla, Irvine, and Los Angeles (West Hollywood, Pasadena, Torrance).
Invest in your career! Peer groups are a powerful career advancement tool. Face challenges, obstacles, and celebrate new opportunities taking advantage of the advice, counsel, and mentorship from women in your field who are vested in your success.
Peer groups have 8-15 life science professionals in an intimate group designed to support, advise, and encourage you as you work towards your career goals.
Each group determines the format and topics that are most meaningful to them with guidance and support from experienced members. Peer groups in each geographic area are made of a mix of junior and senior life science professionals in a variety of different roles and all types of life science companies, including pharma, diagnostic, and biotech.
There are also separate peer groups for Founders of life science start-ups and a Directors Rising group. Meeting on a separate schedule is an Executive Round Table for VPs and C-Level professionals.
Who Will You Find In the Southern California MAPS Community?
10% Medical Device
20% Service providers
10% Academia/Institute/Post Docs
30% Exec and Sr. Management
50% Age/Experience: 18-33
50% Age/Experience: 34-59
Two Steps: 1. Apply for a Peer Group, and 2. RSVP for the Launch Event
Apply to join a group. The application is your opportunity to share your interests, personal career goals, desired peer group location or special interest group, and prioritize topics that interest you. Click here for the application. You may join more than one group. After completing your application, RSVP below for the launch event.
If you cannot make the launch event, complete an application so we have your information and can add you to your preferred peer group. We will connect you to your peer group leaders who will notify you of time and location for your peer group meeting in November.
No new applicants will be admitted to peer groups for applications received after November. We will continue to accept applications on a rolling admission for joining peer groups in the 7th cohort starting in April 2021.
The Peer Group program enriches your WIB experience beyond our monthly educational events and we encourage you to join the vibrant part MAPS community today.
- 6:00 p.m. – 6:05 p.m.: Intro to MAPS. Hear an overview of the MAPS programs which include SIP (special interest) Panel events, Peer Groups, Mentoring Circles, and Executive Roundtables.
- 6:05 p.m. – 6:45 p.m. Icebreaker event. Get to know a little bit about everyone.
- 6:45 p.m – 7:15 p.m. Speed Networking. 3 rounds 1:1 networking sessions in break-out rooms.
- 7:15 p.m – 7:20 p.m. Break
- 7:20 p.m – 7:50 p.m. Peer group meetings. We’ll use Zoom’s break out function to add you to your group. Meet with leaders and peers. Set topics for the cohort and meeting dates.
- 7:50 p.m – 8:00 p.m. Wrap up and share. Learn about the plans of each group and final networking for the evening.
- Throughout: Interactive Activity: Designed for all participants to gain support from someone in the virtual room for something you share you want/need to advance your career. Take advantage of the experience in the virtual room to make a next step in your career.
- Members: Free
- Limited Free Guest Registration (Non-member)*:Free
- Optional Donation: $5
*Click here to purchase a WIB membership.
Note: Zoom meeting link will be sent along with confirmation email, after registration has been completed.